Tuesday, January 15, 2008

It's back

Winter, that is. How depressing.
So yesterday I saw Sweeney Todd with Lia at Silvercity Yorkdale, and while the acting was excellent I have to say there was something missing. Tim Burton doesn't like funny when the movie isn't supposed to be, and his removal of the Sondheim classic "God that's good!" from the score and soundtrack was a big mistake. The song, which brings much-needed lightness to the very dark play, would have changed the entire feel of the movie and it's a shame he decided to omit it. Johnny Depp is tortured and downright frightening as Mr. Todd, and Helena Bonham-Carter is charmingly self-centred and twisted as Mrs. Lovett. All in all somewhat disappointing, though the casting of Sacha Baron-Cohen (otherwise known as TV personality Ali G and Borat) as Adolfo Pirelli was a stroke of genius.

Anywho, winter has descended once again and while I always enjoy a good sprinkling of white on a fir tree, I can't help but sigh at the sub-zero temperatures and what they do to my disposition. Tomorrow I get to work on learning the series in my Pilates book. I promise.

-Laur

No comments: