Friday, January 11, 2008

Horror in Song




This ain't no Hairspray musical.
My friend Lia and I are going to go see Sweeney Todd on Monday. When I first heard that Tim Burton was making a movie version of a play I have been so fascinated and repulsed by since grade 11 when I saw it on Canstage. We arrived at the theatre hungry and harried after our school had been locked down due to some stupid kid with a BB gun. The theatre smelled like old, dead things and it was full of old people. The play terrified and thrilled me, and I never forgot it. The Ballad of Sweeney Todd, its main chorus song, has been reduced to background noise in the movie but I still hear strains of it whenever I think of the Demon Barber of Fleet Street. There was a child character in the play and a young boy, probably 8 or 9 years old, played him and the whole time I watched I wondered why he wasn't in school.
I'm very excited to see it even though I've heard it's bloody and scary and thoroughly deserving of its R rating. More on this later.
-Laur
P.S. I love Johnny Depp.

No comments: