Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Personal but proud

So today, in my last Contemporary Literature lecture of the year (Contemp Lit being the class that has brought you such exciting entries as "Sex in the GTA" and "Who's Blogging Now?"), the two Profs Stephen (also my TA) and James, and TA Megan, showcased some of the creative projects they most admired from their students. I went to class hoping to be amused, astounded and moved by some of the projects, and I got more than that.
My zine, "Gadunkadunkdunk: For Ladies with Junk in the Trunk" was the first creative project I had done in university, and I became married to my work. It was personal, cutting, self-deprecating and celebratory all at once and I really loved it, so to hand it in on March 14th was really difficult. But it was all worth it, because even though Stephen said he would warn the people he wanted to showcase, he didn't get a chance to warn me and presented my zine to the 175 people in our lecture. He asked me to do it, but I couldn't. If he had warned me, I would have prepared something to say, but as it was, I was too surprised and somewhat emotional to say anything at all, so I let him express how he felt about it.
I laughed through most of it but nearly cried when he was done; "Gadunkadunkdunk" is a zine for fat girls, so it celebrates and enjoys them. To find that level of acceptance, both on an academic and social level, is really humbling.
I don't ever plan to write the Great Canadian Novel. That's not the readership I want to cater to. I want to be fun, hip, sarcastic, passionate and witty in just about every bit of fiction writing I do, so I figure I did good to start with.
I can't wait to get it back and start replicating for possible release.

Baby Got Back.

-Laur

1 comment:

Rohit said...

I plan to name my first child Gadunkadunkdunk. Perhaps friends will call him/her Gadunkadunk for short.