Saturday, February 17, 2007

The end of an era?

So 2 weeks ago I discovered that a series that defined a lot of my adolescence is finally coming to its long-awaited end. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will be released on July 21st, 1 week after the film version of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is released in theatres.
I remember the first time I read "The Philosopher's Stone". I had had the book in my possession once before but it was the adult-cover version and I didn't bother to read it because it looked boring (I admit it, I was shallow). The second time I got my hands on it I was in the eighth grade; I bought it at a Scholastic Book Fair at school for my sister, who had just had her tonsils and adnoids removed and was home from school recovering. I read it first, of course, and since then I've been hooked. I went to fansites, partied it up at bookstores every time a new book was released, won a brand new set of hardcover copies in a Toronto Star contest, and wrote scores of fanfiction. I was the ultimate teenage Harry Potter fanatic.
Now I'm 20 and that period ended a while ago. The last book is going to be intense, moreso than "The Half-Blood Prince", so July is going to be a very exciting month.
Here's a countdown thinger for both the book and the movie, courtesy of the HP fans at www.mugglenet.com, the world's biggest Harry Potter fansite.
I don't know whether to smile or cry. The evening of July 20th is going to be an emotional one.

-Laur

2 comments:

Michela said...

here's the plan. we'll smile at the party, cry while in line, recover quickly, start reading then havea completel emotional breakdown once we finish the last page

Lisa said...

I know what you mean. It's weird because after it's over there not only will be a lot of kids not reading anymore (kids at heart as well) but there are some pretty big shoes to fill in the children/young adult literature department. I know one series that is good but not known much (the Blue is for Nightmares series). I can lend you the first book if you want to check it out. I stumbled upon it at an Indigo one day in the "last copy" bin and it was pretty interesting. I don't think I've ever been that emotional with a book in my life.

-Lisa