Saturday, January 22, 2011

All in

Have you ever heard the term "nut up"? It's a crass way of telling someone to get some courage and do what needs to be done. Right now I need to nut up, and in the worst way.
I am not lacking in the self-confidence department, at least not in a way that's noticeable. I can walk into a room full of people I don't know, introduce myself and have a meaningful conversation faster than most people can even find a chair or an unobtrusive spot of wall to stand against. But in some things, in some areas of adult life...I'm a mouse. That's the best word for it. I'm a mouse, the kind who hides in the little mouse hole, watching the vast expanse of floor in front of it, knowing that piece of cheese across the room is ripe for the taking but too convinced that the cat is going to come zooming over to eat me if I even put one foot outside the hole. For someone as mature and rational as I usually am, I find my own behaviour ridiculous and embarrassing.
My goal for this year is to collect experiences in some of the areas of life I've been lagging behind in. I won't share them here, but one thing is for certain:
I need to nut up.

-Laur

No comments: